Consumer Fraud Lawyer
Shapiro Haber & Urmy LLP is a leading advocate for consumers in Massachusetts and nationwide, representing individuals in class actions that challenge practices that defraud or take advantage of consumers. Often consumers have little power to hold companies accountable or to force them to change their tactics. We champion the rights of consumers and confront unfair or deceptive practices that consumers cannot effectively dispute by themselves.
Massachusetts consumers have a particularly potent weapon under the State's consumer protection statute (General Laws Chapter 93A), which protects both consumers and businesses from unfair and deceptive trade practices. Shapiro Haber & Urmy LLP has been at the forefront of consumer protection litigation in Massachusetts, having obtained the leading Massachusetts decision on the certification of consumer class actions under Chapter 93A in Aspinall v. Phillip Morris Companies.
There are many different ways in which consumers have been defrauded, and the consumer protection practice at Shapiro Haber & Urmy LLP tackles a wide variety of consumer-related litigation encompassing a diverse range of industries. We have represented defrauded consumers and business owners by prosecuting class action suits against:
- Philip Morris for unfair and deceptive business practices in connection with their distribution and sale of Marlboro Lights Cigarettes
- Seven Massachusetts Automobile Insurance Companies for nonpayment of interest on arbitration awards
- American Medical Security, Inc. for unfair insurance practices
- TJX Companies, Inc. and Princeton Review related to the theft of personal and financial information of customers
- Gillette for engaging in deceptive advertising practices with respect to its M3P razor product
- Southwestern Bell doing business as Cellular One for overcharging calls;
- American Fluid Technologies for franchise fraud
- SmithKlineBeecham Corp. for antitrust violations with respect to its brand name drug Relafen
- Abbott Laboratories and others for fraudulently overcharging for the drug Lupron
If you believe that you have been victimized by an unfair or deceptive business practice, please contact us. We can investigate your potential claim and talk to you about your rights.